Wednesday 14 March 2012

Fedora on a virtual Pi


While my physical Raspberry Pi might be several days or weeks away still, I've decided to take a stab at getting the new Fedora image up and running on a virtual machine.  After several hours of digging around on the forums I found several posts & blogs that managed to get it up and running, although they were all quite technical.

So, I decided to write up this, and hopefully provide an simple process for others to follow.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Thanks to everyone on the Raspberry Pi forums that got me this far!

Prerequisites
1. I'm running Ubuntu 11.10
2. You'll need to download the official Fedora Remix 14 for the Raspbery Pi (http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/images/fedora/14/r1-06-03-2012/raspberrypi-fedora-remix-14-r1.img.gz).  Save it somewhere accessible like your home folder (/home/username)
3. You'll need to download a re-compiled package for the image (http://dl.dropbox.com/u/45842273/zImage).  Save it in the same location as the image above
4. This is a work in progress.  Let me know if you've had any issues (even better - if you know the answers too!) and I'll update the post


Installing Qemu
Qemu is available as a standard package in the Universe repository.

Step 1
Open the Terminal utility:

Step 2
Ensure you have the latest repositories - type in the following command:
    sudo apt-get update
You will see the updates being downloaded:


Step 3
Download and install Qemu - tyoe in the following command:
    sudo apt-get install qemu


NOTE: I ran into a few issues with this - see the issues section below.



Next: Preparing Fedora Image

No comments:

Post a Comment